After 9 months in the waiting, the day has arrived. Though there are thoughts of uncertainty, but we still welcome him to our family.
It started yesterday at 10am when my wife discovered some liquid on the floor. She asked me, "What is this?" I looked at it. "Shit, your water bag burst!!!" I said. I quickly do the cleaning and get my wife to bathe while I prepare some food for her.
At 12pm, she went to the hospital while I settle the kids at home. I called my father to take over my kids while I rush down to the hospital. The contraction interval is still far away so my wife just sits in the observation ward. After 2 hours, the hospital decides to ward her rather than put her in the Observation room.
At 4pm, I went home first and get my father to bring my elder son to his place. I quickly wash up and bring my younger son to visit my wife. Before going to the hospital, I was thinking that since my wife will most probably have a c-section, I decided to buy her KFC before she goes under the knife. So I bought her a KFC meal and took a cab to the hospital.
In the ward, we ate our dinner and I left after that. When I reach home at around 9pm, my wife’s sister called and said "The contraction interval is coming at 10mins. I believe the contraction will increase within the few hours. I hope you can come down to stay with her."
"I would love to but I can’t. No one is going to take care of this young one." I said. "I will." she said. After some hesitation, I agreed. When my wife’s sister picks my son up, he is so quiet but I have this feeling to sadness leaving him.
I quickly rush down to the hospital and found that she is placed under observation at 10pm. I stayed with her and eaten her chocolates. Hahahha!!! You may think that I am bad but read on. She is trying to control her breathing and I followed her breathing to pattern to encourage her. To my dismay, my tummy start to upset and I went to the toilet and found myself vomiting the chocolate. Lesson learnt, never snatch the food of a pregnant woman.
At 12am the nurse done an inspection and fount that the cervix is only 3cm open. That is still far away from the 10cm needed. The doctor decides to let my wife continue to try on. At 5am, another inspection is done. The cervix is only 5cm open. We asked the doctor for advice because my wife previous 2 birth is c-section. The doctor considered have a natural birth is extremely dangerous. However, he still says that there is a 50% chance of natural birth. Seeing my wife suffering so much from the pain, I advice her to go for c-section. She said no. Since it is halfway through now and the doctor says that there is a 50% chance, she will continue trying. She asked for Epidural injection. The doctor says that it is ok for Epidural injection now but if my wife will to go for c-section later, another Epidural injection is needed and this is double the cost. My mind start to calculate how much does it cost as each injection cost about S$600. My wife says go ahead. I almost fainted.
The nurses then transfer my wife to the Labour Ward. There she got her injection and she fell asleep. The doctor says that another test will be done at 7:30am. During this time, I doze off as I have almost lost all my "battery". But I still continue to encourage her though I am still thinking eventually she will go for c-section.
At 7:30am, the doctor does another test and mind you, every test is painful for my wife as the doctor need to insert his fingers into the virginal. The doctor says the cervix is 6cm now. I thought, "What? After 2 hours, it just open up another 1cm only?" I look at my wife and say, let’s hope it will open up further. My wife says, "Failure is not an option."
At 10am, another test is done. By this time, my wife is exhausted. This time, 8cm. The doctor is surprised and the nurses are elated. The doctor says to continue to monitor. Since she has gone this far, no harm waiting for another few hours.
At 1pm, my wife told me she has the urge to push. My eyes widened. Coincidentally, the doctor walked in and does another test. He said, "Get ready for her to push. I can see the crown of the baby". The doctor looked at me and asked, "you want to see it?" I shook my head.
The nurses start their procedures. Doctor’s surgical clothes, wound dressing etc. was prepared. The nurse taught my wife the correct way of pushing and soon my wife got the hang of it. I was beside my wife and I pushed with her. Giving her encouragement, never thinking she can make it this far. Her courage and determination amazed me.
Finally, when the head of the baby start to come out, the doctor used the vacuum method to pull the baby out. A baby wailing sound is heard and the baby is out. While dressing for my wife’s wound, the doctor told my wife not to tell anyone about this operation. He does not want to be stressed having to deliver another natural birth after 2 c-sections. My wife told the doctor that since he said that there is a 50% chance, she felt that it is worth trying. The doctor said the 50% chance comment is actually a joke and should not be taken seriously.
We asked the nurses whether they will try natural birth after 2 c-sections. It was a resounding no as they know the medical complication involved. They also commented my wife bravery for attempting a natural birth even without a Douala.
I am glad that all went well and is surprised by my wife determination. And here I am, a father of 3 now.